What is Staking?
Crave utilizes a system called Proof of Stake (PoS). Staking is the 'mining' of PoS coins, so to speak.
Staking starts by storing your coins in your wallet, which needs to be online. Once your coins reach maturity, you can begin staking by opening your wallet and unlocking it for staking. Your wallet will then start competing with other wallets for signing the next block. If you are chosen to sign a block, you will get a staking reward, which is 4 Crave. After this, the coin age of those chosen will be zeroed out, and will have to mature again.
There is no minimum amount needed to stake Crave, but having more coins staking will give you a larger weight, and therefore a higher chance to receive the staking block reward.
There are just two steps to start staking.
1) Make sure that you do not have the command staking=0 in your crave.conf file. To check this, go to Tools > Open Wallet Configuration File.
- If your crave.conf is either blank or contains staking=1, you can move on to the next step. This is the default setting.
- If your crave.conf contains the line staking=0, you must change this to staking=1. Then, restart your wallet for this change to take effect.
2) Go to Settings > Unlock Wallet, and you should see the following screen (if you do not see the option to unlock wallet, that likely means that you have not encrypted your wallet, which is highly recommended, for your own sake.)
- Simply check the 'For anonymization and staking only' box, enter your passphrase, and select 'OK'.
- Back in your wallet interface, in the bottom right-hand corner, you should now see a green arrow that says 'Staking is active'.
- Depending on when you sent coins to your wallet, you may have to wait 8 hours, which is the staking minimum age. As long as you see the green arrow and keep your wallet open and online, you are eligible for staking rewards.